Week 12 Story: Ravana's Crimes

 This is based on the characters from the Ramayana by Valmiki. I read this version of it for this week's reading. I really don't like Rama. So I wanted to like Ravana, but I've come to the conclusion they are both bad, and Ravana is probably unredeemable. But at least Ravana is an interesting character. I prefer him greatly to Rama. So I decided to make a list of some of his crimes from the Ramayana and see if I could turn the story in his favor somehow. So what did Ravana actually do? Well, we know he kidnapped Sita. That was not very nice of him. He also imprisoned her and taunted her. Also bad, he tries to kill Hanuman, the monkey king and sets his tail on fire when his brother Vibhishana advises him against killing. He ALSO, cuts off the wings of Jatayu, the divine vulture king, causing him to die. That's not a pretty score for Ravana. So the story below is set in a different, modern, sort of undefined time. This is a story of Ravana explaining himself. He is an unreliable narrator, so we cannot believe everything he says.

("Waxing Gibbous Moon with Black Background"
 by Image Catalog is licensed under CC CC0 1.0)

Story Time: Ravana's Crimes

Instead of dying in battle with Rama, the two never clash. Ravana gets arrested later and is sentenced to a death penalty. He is going to be executed but before he is...


    Ravana is in an empty room, bare of furniture except for the stool he sits on. In his hands is a scroll, a list of his crimes. He has been given the chance to tell his side of things. Ravana appears to be totally unbothered. He sits on the edge of the stool, long legs stretch in front of him, appearing almost as if his is merely leaning against it. He carries a wry smirk on his face. He unrolls the scroll, and clears his throat.

    "My name is King Ravana. I am here today because I have been accused of many horrible crimes. No one has heard my side of the story. Today, I am here to set the record straight. Let me read this list of supposed crimes. 
Error number one: Kidnapping the wife of Rama. Listen, I....what can I say? Yes. I did, in fact, kidnap Rama's wife, Sita. But, Rama had it coming. No one messes with my sister, Shurpanakha. Do you know what they did to her?
    
    My baby sister showed up at my palace with the flesh of her face hanging off in shreds. She was missing her nose. Do you know how disgusting she looked? I will never get that image out of my head. And the sound, oh the sound. My sister, my little sister, screaming in agony. The screams were endless. They went on and on. She was terrified. She was in excruciating pain. She was missing half of her face. Blood got everywhere. 

    So yeah, Rama had it coming. And really, I was doing Sita a favor. Rama is a disgusting person. He's really pathetic, honestly, yet so proud of himself, so needlessly, pointlessly cocky. I know he doesn't truly love his wife. He doesn't love anyone but himself. The only reason he is mad I took her is because his pride is offended. 

    You might be wondering "why did you take Sita?' since I clearly have a problem with Rama, not her. Well, dear listeners, I am not an idiot, despite what some say. I knew if I took Sita, Rama would become enraged and would charge into my kingdom, utterly senselessly. Well, to be fair, he never has any sense. Rather, sometimes his comrades are able to direct him towards more intelligent plans. This time, I knew he would listen to none. He would be so worried about his pride that he would come running into my place, armed with nothing but foolish arrogance. 

    I suppose this brings us to item number two on my list. Setting Hanuman's tail on fire. I must admit, that was a mistake on my part. Not because of the damned monkey, but because it injured my home as well. Lanka burning was very difficult. So, truly, I have already been punished for that so-called crime. Besides, the monkey turned out to be just fine. It's not like I killed him. 

    What else does this stupid list say...oh, I see. This last one, I do feel remorse about. The previous two events are not something I consider bad, evil, or criminal. This one though... why did I do that? Ah...it was self-defense. I remember now. I know that sounds like a lame excuse, but it really was. I was carrying Sita in my arms, so I was weaker, vulnerable. The vulture attacked me, and he could've caused me to drop Sita. Wouldn't that be bad? So honestly. I was not only defending myself but the lovely Sita as well. So yes, I slew Jatyu. I had no choice. He attacked me, not the other way around. 

    I took Sita home and treated her well. Obviously, I couldn't let her roam free, but I let her explore the gardens, and I talked to her kindly. I tried to convince her to leave that awful husband of hers. I attempted to shine a light on his flaws so that she would realize the opportunity I was providing her with and utilize this chance to escape him. Alas, it didn't work, and she had to find out the hard way when he showed up to retrieve her. That's my bad too, I really had meant to destroy him before he could get near her. 
    
    However, I was distracted when he arrived. My beloved Lanka was burning, and I was trying to tend to the residents, tend to the city, soothe the angry flames. Rama showed up, grabbed Sita, and humiliated her in front of everyone by calling her nasty names and accusing her of being unfaithful and unpure. 

    Do you all see my side now? I have no regrets. I am not a bad person. I am a creature of good. I only killed the bird in order to defend the innocent Sita and myself. I injured the monkey after he invaded my city and tried to wreak havoc. I rescued Sita from the monster Rama, and if my city hadn't caught flame, I would have kept her from being taken back.
They will try to execute me soon. Let's see what happens.."

Comments

  1. Wow! What an amazing story. Aside from the writing itself, your blog design looks amazing! I love how you have strayed away from the typical design and made something unique and readable for yourself! I also liked reading your note before going into the story so that I knew what I was getting myself into. I had not seen that before, but I may have to borrow your idea! Anyways, great work overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann Marie,
    It has been a while since I have visited your blog and WOW you have been busy. The aesthetic of your blog is great and I really like images and the use of gifs on your posts (especially if it's the office). This story was really well written and structured nicely. It is definitely pretty cool and nostalgic to read something about Ramayana in Week 12 so I really enjoyed this. Good job on your blog.. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts