Microfiction: Breaking Up and Growing Up

Author's Note: These two drabbles (100-word stories) are based on my own reflections but were also inspired by Taylor Swift's latest album Folklore, specifically three songs she called the teenage (love-triangle) trilogyBetty and James* are characters from the song trilogy. 
*It has been debated whether Betty and James are a heterosexual couple or not. I personally believe they are two women, but to lessen confusion, I made them a girl and a boy in the drabbles below. 

Breaking Up

Betty and James were high-school sweethearts. 

When Betty left for college a year before James, they promised to continue long-distance. 

It went as expected. Two months of phone tag, jealous fights, and sleepless nights was enough to push them past their limit. 

They broke up over the phone, at 2:00 a.m, Betty sitting in the stairwell of her dorm, James lying on his parents' roof.  A small fight started by two tired and frustrated teens escalated quickly, leaving Betty walking around campus despondently and James crying on the cold metal housetop. Neither went to school the next day.

(Image Information: Time Lapse, Pxhere)



Growing Up

Betty and James were grown-up adults. 

Now Betty was starting her senior year in college; James had just finished trade-school. 

It was going well. Four years of hard work, new friends, and selfish nights was enough to push them past their heartsickness. 

They grew up over the years. At 21, Betty was about to graduate college, and James had gained real-world experiences. Neither thought of the past anymore. But, one night, Betty stumbled across an old picture. She was surprised to feel no regret, only nostalgia for the youth of 17. And James? James had just met his future wife.

The End


Comments

  1. Hi Ann Marie, I really enjoyed the uniqueness of your microfiction and I think your connection to modern pop culture and your beliefs made this super interesting to read! Although I have not listened to Taylor Swift's new album, your post encouraged me to go give it a listen. As I was reading, I genuinely felt like I was listening to the break up story told by one of my friends, and you did an awesome job of portrayed something that Taylor Swiftwould write. The ending of the 'Growing Up' section made me feel sad but I think you summed up the harsh truth of how much moving on can hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann Marie,
    First off, this story was really great and I really enjoyed this style of micro fiction. I have never seen this style of micro fiction, did you see this kind of micro fiction somewhere else? I like how you the focus and inspiration for this story came from Taylor Swifts latest album. That is really cool that your taste in pop culture and music can be reflected in your writing. I personally do not listen to Taylor swift but I could definitely see how her style of music is reflecting in this micro fiction. Great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann Marie, these two microfictions are great! Even though they are short you can still see how the chactacters have evolved and how they feel with each word. You pulled this off flawlessly. Being inspired by T-Swift is amazing. I am so glad that the album spoke to you so well that you were able to apply it here. "Growing Up" was a great conclusion to Betty and James's tale and it really does feel like a song with the way it flows. I'm excited to see what else you write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ann!
    Oh my goodness, I loved these! Your writing is so good! Even though these were micro fictions, I feel as though I know so much about these characters! I really hope you expand on these someday, cause I am so emotionally invested. I can really tell that Taylor Swift inspires you, too! The way you write seems incredibly song-like and complex! I love it, I really can't wait to read more! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ann,
    I did not expect a story about a Taylor Swift song so this is a nice surprise. I was expecting there to be some sort of twist or rekindling at the end, but I kind of like this version more as it seems much more realistic. I am not that familiar with Taylor Swift, but I think you a good job of making/retelling a story from a song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts