Growth Mindset Thoughts

 


Carol Dweck's growth mindset theory is a positive teaching method that has been proven to have good results. It focuses on changing the mindsets of students so that they are no longer satisfied by receiving good grades but feel the need to constantly be challenged. This removes the constant need for validation that many people have. It is an interesting theory, one that I had not heard much of before this lesson. I read one of the articles that does not agree with the theory and I see the authors point. The theory is pretty vague and for many classrooms, it may not work perfectly. I also see how it could lower children's self-esteem and make them feel like they don't have the potential for success. 
I definitely think I was raised to have a fixed mindset because my family cares a lot about grades. However, after learning about Carol Dweck, I will now be more aware of that mindset. I suspect this will have a positive effect on me. If I manage to change my mindset I think my mental health would improve. Maybe my grades would too! I struggle with perfectionism in all aspects of my life, but being aware of these things is really helpful.

Comments

Popular Posts